Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Jackson

Dear Jackson,

Today, if you were living, you would be 2 years old. Dad & I would have planned a little party for you & I would have been able to pick out some gifts & bake you a birthday cake. Maybe it would have been strawberry cake...that has always been your dad's favorite. I would have held you close & told you how special you are & what a difference you would make in the world. I would have told you what different people you have turned your dad & I into, how you've improved us by giving us the titles of mother & father. I would have made this day about you & the unique role you play in your family. I would have laughed & played & would have gone to bed grateful to have a 2-year-old son. I would have done a lot of things that I am not doing. Our lives would be so different if you were here. I think that I would have felt like I had more purpose & more influence for good. But why tell you what I would have done had you been here? Why not tell you what I am doing now?

Now I am thanking Heavenly Father EVERY DAY (not just on your birthday) that you are mine. I am thanking him for letting me see how much I can love a person, for letting me know that there are certain people who were absolutely meant to be in my life. You are definitely one of those people Jackson. I am trying to tell the world about you, so that they can feel blessed to be a part of your story. I have a stronger testimony of the importance of being sealed in the temple. I have a greater knowledge of what it means to feel people's prayers working in my life. Over & over again, I have been a witness of what it means to "bear one another's burdens" & to "mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort". I could list so many people who have demonstrated that perfectly.

I love you. I miss you. Today is technically your birthday (it's almost 3am), but I haven't slept. Yesterday was very hard for me without you here. I tend to panic when your birthday comes because it is one of those days that I just have to face. I can't run away from it. I can't put it in the back of my mind & deal with it later. I can't change what day it is & the reality that I have a son who I've been without for the past two years. Jackson, sometimes it seems like so much longer than that. Sometimes it seems like I haven't seen you in ten years. I don't want to forget any part of you...ever. I feel such a range of emotions. I am feeling discouraged. Yesterday I just sat on the couch and did nothing for periods of time. I just kept thinking that I needed to clean the house & get groceries & do so many other things...but then my brain just kept asking, "Why in the world would you do such a little thing like that when tomorrow is your baby's birthday?" That's all I could think about.

Sometimes I feel lost without you. Sometimes I feel like a huge part of me is missing. Sometimes I just want to curl up in a ball & cry until I feel like I can't cry anymore...& once in awhile I do. But do you know what Jackson? You also make me feel more whole than I've ever felt in my life. You make me feel more grounded than I've ever been. You can even make me feel like I am the most important person in the world & that you don't want to be without me either. You know the experiences that we've had together. I've heard you & felt you close to me. Not many people get to experience something like that. You help me to have an eternal perspective. You brought out a side of your dad that I didn't know was there, & your death made us stronger & happier to be with each other.

I will be thinking about you all day. I will be thinking about every good thing that has come into my life because of you. I will be setting goals & looking for ways to become a better person & a better mom to you. I know that I can't teach you right now, here on this earth, but I hope that I can become a better mother every day by the way that I live. I know that where you're at, you probably don't care much about birthdays, but I want to wish you a happy 2nd birthday anyway. Remember that I love you & that you can do anything. Remember that Dad loves you & remember how happy he was when you were born. Remember the experiences that we had together in that hospital room 2 years ago, & the way that heaven & earth seemed to meet...& help us to never forget it.

Love you,
Mom

9 comments:

Young Family said...

Happy birthday Jackson! I haven't had my angel babies first birthday yet. I am sure it is a very hard day. There are so many days I feel just like you. Please know that even though I don't know you, I have been thinking of you all day.

Jessica

Jana said...

Oh Anjane', my heart hurts for the hard days you've been having. Just thinking about this milestone must have brought such an onslaught of emotions that you didn't think you could handle it...you probably didn't even know how to feel, but you deal with it so well. You probably have to work so hard to remind yourself of all the things you know and all the blessings, when really you just want to change the way things are. I know that you have learned so much from this, and I know that I don't really know how you feel...but I try to imagine, just knowing the things I've felt in my own experiences. Thanks for the uplifting way you talk about your experiences and the things you teach us all with your example!

Geoff and Emily said...

Anjane',
I am so sorry that things have seemed too hard to handle right now. I have been thinking a lot about you lately, too! Hang in there - the Lord always knows what is better for us than we do. Your positive outlook is such an inspiration. I love you!
Emily

lenseigne said...

Anjane, I don't even know if you would remember me, but I remember you from when we lived in 12th ward. I just had to say thankyou for sharing all this. It has touched my heart so sweetly...

glenda Lenseigne

Sarah Garner said...

Happy birthday Jackson. I hope they have strawberry cake in heaven!

We will never forget our angel babies, and whether or not birthdays are important in heaven, they are important here. They mark the day our lives changed forever and a choice, valiant little spirit entered our family for all eternity!

I'll keep your family in my prayers as always!

ps... say hit to my Savannah for me.

Love,

Savannahs Mommy

Kami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kami said...

Anjane', I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. I found your blog through Sarah Garner's Angel Babies blog. I am Kooper's Mommy. I live in AZ and saw that you did too. I would love to get together or even just e-mail. I didn't see your e-mail anywhere so if you could e-mail me or give me your e-mail address I would love to share my story! My e-mail is kamichic_03@yahoo.com

Take care. You and your family are in my prayers!

Kami

Ashley said...

I am so grateful to have a friend like you. I love how you express your love and devotion to your child. There are some days that I do not want to be a mother and here you are just wanting to hold yours so badly. Reading this post is a very powerful reminder to me to thank my Father In Heaven for my kids. Thanks for writing this post, I will refer to it often. I am deeply sorry for not rememebering Jackson's birthday.

The Brzozowski's said...

I was looking for a "my eternal family" picture for my primary programs and I came across this photo on google, I started to read your blog and I can't tell you how inspirational you. I am touched by your perspective, and your testimony. I am a mom of three little ones, 4, 2, 1 and am having a crazy day. Thank you for providing a way for me to realize how blessed I am. I have had a wonderful women move to my ward and become my second counselor and I have been struggling to understand her new loss of their little girl (still birth). by reading your story I feel that I now I may know better ways to serve her. May you know the admiration I have for you. Truly, Tori Brzozowski, Ferndale, WA primary president, bik13@yahoo.com