Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Almost There...




We were able to go to Snowflake the week before Lincoln started school to pour the foundation for Jackson's headstone. Dad, Matt and Lincoln all worked on it and it turned out well. It's funny that I can get such a feeling of satisfaction from seeing a slab of cement...but it made me really happy to see that his headstone is almost in place.
I'm not sure why it took us 2 years to get his headstone up. Most of it was just because we thought it would be more expensive than it ended up being, and we just kind of moved on to other things. Now I am worried that once the headstone is up, I will feel like there isn't much more that we can do for our little boy.

We will still have his birthdays to celebrate, which will be nice, but this marks the end of our "taking care" of him and his things. All of his baby clothes have been packed up for a long time, his bedroom is full of boxes of our stuff, and we still only have the same pictures to look at that we had from day one. That is a little hard for me to swallow.

I really do know that this is the right thing for Lincoln & I, & that we will have even more joy than we ever thought possible when we see our little boy again. That will make our reunion so much sweeter...because we know what life is like without him here.

I am also worried because in my eyes my little boy is growing up. That probably doesn't make any sense...but as time has gone on, Jackson has grown up to me. Right now (in my mind) he is a week from turning 2 years old. I feel like I know him and what he would be like at that age...but will I feel close to him and feel like I still know him when he would be turning 5...or 10?

I really hope that I can keep my memories of him close to my heart and that I will never ever forget the way that he felt cradled in my arms or the way that I felt when I looked at his daddy giving him his baby blessing. I hope that I never forget the dozens of flowers that were sent to us or the kind words from people that we hadn't talked to in years. I don't want to forget looking in my parents' eyes and seeing the love that they had in their hearts for their first grandchild. I want to always remember Heavenly Father's love and feelings of advice and comfort. I don't want to forget how proud He was of me for handling the situation that I had been dealt, and for looking for the good in it. I will forever be grateful to Him for letting ME be the mother of this INCREDIBLE boy. Most of all, I KNOW that I will never forget Jackson's spirit being in the room all night with us at the hospital. We had our time with him, even though it was shorter than most parents' time with their child. Because of that, we felt feelings for and from Jackson that don't even compare to anything on this earth. And I will never, ever forget that.

3 comments:

Sarah Garner said...

You never will forget because you have been smart and written everything down. Those moments that the memories feel dim, you can turn to your words and the spirit will bring those feelings and thoughts back to you... if that's what you want. If it's important to you it's important to the Lord. He'll help you remember!

Ashley said...

Everytime I come to this blog I cannot help but cry. You are so incredible! I am so proud of you and your sweet devotion to Jackson.
I think it is awesome that you think of him and picture him what he would be like today. His death is not holding you back from living your life, his death is letting you live your life and being his mommy even if it is in your heart and mind. He knows you and he knows your thoughts about him. I know that he too pictures the time when you are reunited again.

Young Family said...

I found your blog from Sarah Garner. I, too, have an angel baby. I noticed that tomorrow is Jackson's birthday. Please know that I will be praying for you. I hope you have a good day remembering your beautiful baby.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Share Foundation but I just want you to know that October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss awareness month. There are several walks around the country.

I am really looking forward to walking in rememberance of my baby, Scott.

If you are not familiar and want more details or just want to chat please contact me.

jessicayoung@andersoncomputer.com